Monday, July 27, 2009

Meal Plan Week 5--Final Week!

So, what are we going to eat this week? I haven't even figured this out yet. Let's see . . . I bought green beans, tomatoes, okra (have no idea what I'm going to do with this, but I thought I'd just buy it and figure it out); I have chicken in the freezer and beef coming this week in our farm order; I can still make pasta . . . Okay, here goes:

Sunday: We had mini burgers on the Amish dinner rolls I bought at the market, corn on the cob, and peaches and blueberries. Delish.
Monday: Cheese ravioli with pesto
Tuesday: Chicken baked with a cream sauce, steamed green beans
Wednesday: Leftovers (this is the day we pick up the farm order)
Thursday: Pork chops, okra and tomatoes, green salad, blackberry cobbler (this is Paul's last night of summer class!)
Friday: Family pizza night and final day of challenge!
Saturday: We'll probably go out this night but still stick to our principals. :)

I've been doing a lot of contemplating about what we've learned this month, what we'll stick with, what we've missed, and how it's affected our family. We'll probably continue to make our own bread, pizza dough, tomato sauce. We'll definitely continue to shop at the farmers' markets and our bi-weekly farm drop off. The winter is what is going to be challenging for us. We just don't have room for a deep freeze or even much canned food, for that matter. I've considered canning some (I have plans for a canning date with a friend--we plan to make some tomato sauce) and packing it away in boxes under the bed. Other than that, I just don't know how we'd manage to keep eating entirely locally.
But we're all works in progress, right? We do the best we can and continue to learn. We've put into practice some very good habits based on solidly formed philosophies. I think that's the key. That's what I want to pass on to my children: that principals matter. Not necessarily convenience or money, although everything must be balanced. And that you CAN make a difference, regardless of how small your contribution may seem. There's so much more at stake than what we see on a daily basis.
I'll write more later about specific foods we've missed, etc., but for now, I'm going to focus on our last week in a really fun and life-changing project.

No comments:

Post a Comment