Friday, March 12, 2010

Rant Friday

It's not in my usual spirit of happy blogging, but I think I might start a new thing here. Maybe not. Maybe it'll just be today, but I have a few things that are getting on my nerves.

1. GPS. It makes people stupid. People no longer know street names or things like North, South, East, or West. People rely a little too much on these little machines to get them around. I know, I know, they have cool features like "Where is the nearest Chik-Fil-A?" And maybe I'm just jealous 'cause I don't have one, but lately hearing "I'm just doing what the GPS is telling me to do" is really bugging me.

2. So, I'm trying to find new children to watch in my home daycare, since a couple kids are going to be leaving me soon. I emailed and finally talked to one woman in particular who is currently and wants to continue to be a stay-at-home mom to her brand new 3-month-old little girl. The trouble is, "she's fussy and needs a lot of attention during the hours from 3-7 (i.e., 'the witching hour')." This brand new mom wants to take her baby somewhere and drop her off so that someone else can deal with her meltdown. WHAT?? Now I have no problem dealing with fussy babies--it's part of my job. I do, however, have a little trouble with the idea of someone paying me SPECIFICALLY to deal with her baby's difficult time. I mean, every mom who is with her children between afternoon naptime and dinnertime has to deal with this difficult behavior. And this mom wants to bring her little one here so that I can deal with my two kids, plus whatever other little one I'll have in my care at that time, PLUS her baby? Seriously? Is there some kind of a disconnect with the motherly instincts? Do people not understand that being a mother is HARD? You can't spend just the fun, happy times with your baby, right?

3. What is with people using the word I instead of me? As in: "Just between you and I." Drives me absolutely CRAZY!! The word me is a completely valid word and has its place. You do not sound smarter using the word I all the time. I know I was an English major and am therefore WAY sensitive to these kinds of things, but really.

I don't think it's a good idea to constantly dwell on things that are getting on our nerves, but I wanted to tell someone. Thanks for listening. Now I can stop thinking about this stuff and get on with real life. :) Tomorrow I'll post something on Charlie's new homemade summer clothes. Hope you all are having a fantastic Friday night and have a great weekend. I'm going to watch a movie now with Paul and relax for the first time today. Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. rant away! We all need it sometimes. I'm with you on all counts, btw. :) Have a great weekend, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I secretly judge people when they use "I" as an object in a sentence. I don't want to, but deep in my heart I really do. And I NEVER correct them.

    And while this may not be the perfect venue, THANK YOU for sending those incredible laptop covers to Joy, John and I. Mine, of course, is the best. I actually stuck my machine in it last night and didn't do the surfing I had planned on. I didn't want to take it out of the case.

    ReplyDelete