Thursday, May 3, 2012

New Frontiers

While I'm on my kick, I'd like to share some views of our very first garden. The property that we live on is about two acres of house and yard, surrounded by eighteen acres of pasture. Our vegetable garden is basically in the middle of a huge field, on the other side of a thick treeline through which we have to pass from the house. Here is the view of the pasture once you pass through the trees:



This is just about the most grass my kids had ever seen by the time we'd moved here. Such a different way of life we have now. It's so peaceful.
Our latest, and possibly the biggest, project we've taken on is our garden. We spent the winter months removing sod, tilling, adding various composts, including worm compost, and different organic nutrients since this is basically virgin ground. I have to admit that Paul, along with his trusty sidekicks, did most of the groundbreaking work, while I helped with planning the spacing, buying seeds and starting them indoors and such.



At this point, we have some lovely seedlings and small plants in a fenced-in (we have lots of deer and without a fence would have an all-you-can-eat buffet) 20 x 20 plot that offers just about all the work we can handle. We have planted 4 different kinds of tomatoes (I'm planning on canning quite a bit), 2 different kinds of peppers, carrots, onions, 3 different kinds of lettuce, zucchini, cucumbers, beets, pole beans, peas, yellow squash, and watermelon. We'll see how it goes!

This is the entire garden with some fun edits with my new camera. :)

One of our biggest babies, a garden pea



Here are my other babies, my cilantro, basil, parsley, chives, oregano, thyme, and dill:


This last shot is just for fun. While testing my new camera, I reached up high to catch the top of this nest in the fern on my front porch, not realizing until I looked at the shot that there are a couple of eggs inside! What fun it will be for the kids to have baby birds on the front porch!

3 comments:

  1. The garden peas look great! Mine are just poking their heads out of the ground a bit. Your herbs are so big too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, have I ever got land envy. If I had that much pasture, I'd have a dairy cow by now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Sheila, I so want a dairy cow! And chickens. We are actually renting until we can sell our condo in DC, and the landowner isn't too keen on livestock living on his property. :) But we are very fortunate to live on this land until then!

    ReplyDelete