Thursday, April 8, 2010

Pie's not just for dessert anymore

If the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, then the way to a woman's heart is to compliment her cooking. I've said this to Paul many times. Not that I'm fishing for compliments. I'm really just trying to make things easy for him. ;)
Today I ventured to make a chicken pot pie from scratch. Okay, I used frozen veggies instead of shucking my own corn, chopping my own carrots, etc., but the sauce and crust were entirely from scratch, and I used leftover chicken that I'd roasted a couple of nights ago (yet another way to stretch your roasted chicken).
I'd never before made a chicken pot pie. In fact, I didn't think I liked chicken pot pie, but as it turns out, I must not have rememberd it very well. It has been a long time. So, I turned to the Internet for an easy-looking recipe and didn't like any that I found, so I just made my own. And, if I do say so myself, it was undeniably delicious!

Jenni's Chicken Pot Pie

Pie crust (see link)
I followed these directions exactly except substituted butter for shortening. You really, really need to make your own pie crust for this recipe. Seriously. Do it. If you don't, it's just going to taste like you bought the whole thing in the freezer section.

Sauce
3 Tbsp. butter
2 cloves garlic
1 small onion, chopped
2 stalks celery
1/3 C flour (I never really measure stuff, so I'm just guessing, but that seems about right)
2 C chicken broth, heated
1/4 C heavy cream

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, and celery. Cook until soft. Now add flour to make a roux. Once you've got that stirred and smooth, add broth. Stir and cook until it's thickened to a gravy consistency. Add cream and stir.

The Rest
1 bag of frozen mixed veggies (I used a bag of peas, green beans, lima beans, corn, and carrots. You could always chop your own and just throw in whatever you like, but if you're using fresh, be sure to steam them first.)
About 3 or 4 Cups of cooked and chopped chicken (ahem--Leftover roasted chicken is amazing here.)

Take half of your amazingly buttery from scratch pie crust and carefully place it in your deep dish. I think that those big Corningware casserole dishes will be too big, but a regular pie dish will be way too small. You need something in between. I used a medium casserole dish that was just perfect. Toss in your veggies (right out of the bag) and chicken. Pour your sauce over and carefully stir everything so that it's evenly mixed. Now lay the other crust on top, pinch the edges together, vent the top. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes to an hour. Let it sit for a few minutes before you dig in. It's seriously worth the wait.

4 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! You know...except the chicken part. Is that one of the summer pottery pieces I spy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's actually not one of the summer pieces, but making this meal helped me to realize that I really need a handmade clay casserole dish this size! When are we going to Brevard again? :) The one that I already have was just way too deep.
    Yeah, I suppose tofu pot pit doesn't have the same appeal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a firm beliver that pie should be filled with sweet, not savory. However, knowing your cooking talents I would try it if you made it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss Jenni! Thank you so much for visiting my blog - and leaving a comment. (LOVE comments;) That is hilarious about Charlie and the mangoes. I'm so glad the mangoes redeemed themselves!!
    (P.S. Chicken Pot Pie?!? I have a ridiculous weakness for pie crust and have been known to remove as much of it as possible, leaving behind heaps of filling in the dish for whoever is unlucky enough to get the pie after me:)

    ReplyDelete